Past-Tense Movies

January 8th I published a list of movies I wanted to see this summer. Well now they have all happened and I want to see how the results compare to the original list.

1. "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything - Veggie Tales rocks! Need I say more?"
      It wasn't quite as good as I had hoped, but it was popular enough for teens I associate with to quote it, a lot.

2. "The Dark Knight - Christian Bale is such a wonderful actor and the first movie was such a great start I just can't wait."
      It was incredible! Very dark; very precise and philosophical. Great movie.

3. "Iron Man - Robots, classic comic book characters, explosions? Who could ask for more?"
     Iron Man was one of the best movies this summer. Fast, not to much emotional stuff, wonderful acting.

4. "Get Smart - I have been told that this was a great show, but I can't ever find the shows anywhere. It should be great."
     I found the original TV shows and watched the first season before the movie can out. I was slightly (very slightly) disappointed at the representation. But Steve Carell did a wonderful job portraying Maxwell Smart. Anne Hathaway, not so much.

5. "The Incredible Hulk - I didn't really enjoy the Hulk back in 2003; Too many comic book-like transitions and scene framing. Could have been great, but not so much. The Incredible Hulk, however, is shaping up to be a pretty incredible (groan) movie."
     It was great. Not slow. Liv Tyler, not so great; Edward Norton was a wonderful Bruce Banner just like Steve Carell was a great Maxwell Smart.

6. "Wall-E - Everything Pixar has ever done has been wonderful. With a track record like that I am expecting a lot from this movie. (And will probably get it.)"
     Exceded my expectations. Again and again. Almost no words the first 30-45 minutes, but more emotion than most modern actors can put out in a whole movie.

Now adding to this list:

7. Hellboy 2 - Hysterical. One liners are so great for a six foot demon living in modern society.

8. X-Files - I was impressed how closely it followed the plot ideals of the origional. All the way down to a very unsatisfactory/unresolved ending.

9. Wanted - After seeing the American trailer I didn't want to see it. But after the German trailer I couldn't wait. Seeing Ron Livingston play an assassin was really cool.

10. Hancock - I thought it was great. Will rocks.

11. The first thirty minutes of Indiana Jones - Those first thirty minutes were the very epitimy of an Indiana Jones movie. It all went downhill from there.

12. Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - Just like Lord of the Rings. Didn't follow the book.

13. Kung Fu Panda - This one surprised me. I don't like Jack Black, but he wan't to bad and Kung Fu Panda was actually entertaining.

0 comments: