The Greatest Game in History (Hopefully)


I'm talking about Will Wright's upcoming video game, Spore.

I have been watching the news on this game since 2005 and can't wait for it to come out.

I was then excited to hear that Will wanted to release it on multiple platforms, namely Mac.

Then I watched with eager anticipation as a tentative release date was set for the end of 2005.

That date came and went and some of my anticipation went with it, only to be reignited when the reason was that they were going to make it perfect, instead of hitting a certain release date.

Just a week (or two) ago I heard rumor that a release date had been set, September 5, 2008.

Hallelujah! It's coming! So after a two year break during which I had stopped checking up on Spore, I looked it up again and to my joy and amazement it was to be released on virtually everything, including Mac! (I'm really into exclamation marks right now.)

Further digging revealed so much more about the game, such as a new social aspect (like Facebook.

One thing I really loved reading about this game was what Will said about it, "...Not putting 'Sim' in front of it was very refreshing to me." I have only briefly played Sim, and did not enjoy it very much. It took to long to do to little, no cheats and to much hype.

So the format of Spore appeals to me; Pac-Man to Diablo to Populous to SimCity, Risk, and Civilization to SimEarth, Destroy All Humans!, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Star Trek and 2001: A Space Odyssey and sandbox gameplay. I also liked hearing Will say that the game is training you to use the sandbox, instead of the other way around.

I can't wait to see what they've done with the procedural animation and music in the game. It is something I think should be in more games but isn't.

I really hope this game lives up to its hype and the wait.

0 comments: